5.06.2009

Humble Yourself




When was the last time you voluntarily helped someone just because you felt like pleasing somebody? When was the last time you humbled yourself on behalf of another person? In my opinion, a big part of life is about humbling yourself in order to serve others. I think that everyone should take time at some point in their life to do this. It doesn't matter if it is helping someone unload the dishwasher or going on a mission trip to Africa, any service can make a difference. I believe all of this because I feel that nobody can truly say they are better than someone else or say their life is more important than another's. I feel like as humans, we are called to love and serve one another as the body of Christ. But Christ isn't my only motive to serve. The joy that people have when they are being served is enough reason to keep doing it.


In October of 2008, I went to Camp Awanita in the North Carolina/South Carolina Mountains for the weekend with my youth group for our fall retreat. On Saturday night, the leaders called us in for our evening lesson and worship. We had been playing hard all day and were sticky with sweat and I, personally, wanted to stay outside soaking up the last few rays of sunshine before the sun slipped beneath the horizon, instead of sitting in that stuffy, humid room. About halfway through the lesson, our speaker, Nathan Smith, started talking about how Jesus humbled Himself and with the hands that bound the Earth together, He washed His apostles feet. We were invited to come up to the front and pick up a washcloth. Everybody did and we washed each other's feet. That was the night that I decided serving others by humbling myself was going to become a big part of my life. I am signed up for the mission trip this summer with my church to New Orleans to rebuild homes and community buildings that were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and I am attending the Relay for Life this May.

Even though sometimes I'm busy spending my Saturday working for Homes for Humanity or spending my Christmas Eve delivering food for Meals on Wheels, I know that we're all put here on this Earth to take care of one another and that is just fine with me.

No comments: