5.06.2009

This I Believe


"Don't judge a book by its cover," is what my parents are always telling me to tell others. I have been judged in my past, usually on what i am wearing or how my hair is. I am a very unique person and like to create my own outfits or how i wear an outfit. There are just some people that don't like that. They just can't accept me for who i am and what i look like.

Last year, i used to wear black clothes a lot. My classmates would put me in a group of other people who wore black also. We all had a clique, even if you didn't want to be in one, you were, and there was nothing you could do. There were many cliques like; "the Preps," "the Goths," "the Punks," and more. Each clique hated other cliques, not because we wanted to hate but because we didn't fit into just one clique. Everyone is judgmental to a degree, but some more than others.

One time when i was at the mall with one of my friends, we walked around looking for new clothes. Karlie, my friend who was with me, was wearing a bright pink shirt and light faded jeans and flip-flops. I was wearing a black shirt, dark jeans, and black converse. When we were walking we got stopped by this guy who was walking past us. He seemed to be an older man, in his late 50's. He glanced at Karlie and turned to look straight at me. He handed me a brochure and said, "That is my church and I would really appreciate it if you came and ask the Lord to come into your life." He judged me because I was wearing black. I am a christian and just because I wore black he thought that I was a non-believer. I wasn't too happy after that because he didn't even know me and he judged me for what i was wearing.

It would be best to get to know someone before you make an assumption about them. I know I can be ditzy sometimes and act dumb, but i'm actually really smart. People just want to assume someone is weird or because they act a certain way, they don't like the person. I have learned not to judge from being judged myself and from feeling rejected. If you can't say anything nice to someone, than don't say anything at all.

No comments: