Well I was born in a small town/ and I live in a small town/ prob’ly die in a small town/ Oh, those small communities.” ( John Mellencamp, Small Town) I was born on the same land my father was born on, and the same land my grandmother has lived on since she was six. My great grandfather bought these thirty acres that I call home in 1938. The land meant so much to him. Though I never met him, I know that he loved it with all his heart.
During the Great Depression, my great grandparents were more fortunate than others. They had land to grow food, and they had trees to burn for warmth. The only thing they had to buy were inexpensive items like coffee, flour, sugar, and seeds for the garden. They had chickens for eggs, cows for milk, and of course, many dogs for companionship and protection.
In small communities like the one I live in, we have a kind of fellowship where every one knows everyone else. I have family all around me; my cousins live right next door and are like brothers to me. My grandmother lives on the other side of us and helped raise us. She is always there when I need a Pepsi, cookie, or just an old story.
The beauty of running in the woods bare foot or sitting outside at night listening to the dogs and coyotes howling back and forth is an amazing experience. When I was younger, I spent all of my time out in the woods. I still try to, but unfortunately, I just don’t have as much time has I did before I came to school. I look forward to the summer months when I will be able to. I have never known anything other than the land we live on, and I hope to never have to leave it.
I know that not everyone can experience living in a small town, and I know that I am very lucky to be able to. I hope that someday in the future more people will be able to. I am not, however, trying to put down the city, I have been there and it has many wonderful qualities just like the country, but I think my heart will always be in the small communities.
No comments:
Post a Comment