5.07.2009

This I Believe


This I Believe Trey Snow





What does music mean to you? How does it shape your life? These deep question may be answered with one word by some but by others it is their very existence. Music is what I see, hear, breathe, feel, and live off of. It is another language I can speak to the world. I felt the presence of music at a very early age. I grew up with my father playing me the music of such artist as The Beatles, The Grateful Dead, and Bob Dylan. These roots have shaped me into the musician I am today. When I play and hear music, it takes control of me. I think that everyone that plays music feels the same way about music. I believe that music can mend even the most shattered soul.


I can remember a day of great despair from my childhood. It was a time when my father, brother and felt the world was out to get us. It was a Saturday and the day before, my Dad received word that he may be close to losing his job. This had changed the entire demeanor of the house from a happy upbeat one to a sad and almost depressed attitude. As we rode out to my grandfather’s house to try and add something positive to our lives, the car began to shrug as it slowly stopped dead. I sat there, just begging for it to start again. My father quickly hopped out of the car to see what was wrong. The battery was dead. He called a good friend to bring out some jumper cables to get it started again. When he arrived we rode on our way again.


As I stared out into the barren highway, my soul felt bleak and empty. All was quiet when the radio filled my ear. It was Bob Dylan, the song, Blowin’ in the Wind. The words echoed through my heart. “How many years can a mountain exist before it is washed to the sea”. It hit me like nothing else had before. For the first time that day I had a smile of contentment. It wasn’t just a song; it had truly lifted my spirit. I felt that the rest of my family was there with me knowing that even though we were going through tough times now, we were going to come out stronger in the end. The music had truly mended my broken spirit. This is why I believe that music can mend even the most shattered soul.



No comments: