My success is a bulldozer. For the most part, the things I’ve achieved were accomplished because I didn’t give up. Everything I’ve worked for and triumphed in was solely the result of plowing through my troubles to reach my goals. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve given up before. And truthfully, I no
w regret the fact that I quit those activities. If I hadn’t, I might now be a great pianist, or a moderate guitarist, or even an agile soccer player. The things that I haven’t quit are my greatest achievements. I would be a much better person if I never quit.
Unlike most people, I can boast being a black belt. It was not easy to get. I spent five long years training and developing the skills necessary for my amazing accomplishment. During those five years, I experienced successes and failures, but I didn’t quit. I ultimately got my reward.
There are several things I had to do to become a black belt even after doing all that training. First, I had to write a personal 1000 word essay about my life as a Tang Soo Do student. Then, I had to take a written test about all my knowledge of the Tang Soo Do art. Lastly, I had to take a grueling physical test that tested me on every move that I had ever been taught during all five years of my training. I passed the trials and I can now call myself a black belt.
My martial arts career did not end there. After two more years of training, I could test again for second degree black belt. As my brother said, “First degree black belt is an accomplishment. Second degree black belt is a commitment.” To test for second degree black belt, I had to write a 2000 word personal essay
about my life as black belt. Then I had to pass a written exam that included all my old Tang Soo Do knowledge and all the information that I had learned as a first degree black belt. Lastly, I had to pass the physical exam. I accomplished that only three weeks ago. Next week, I can officially call myself a second degree black belt.
Of course I don’t intend to quit there. Tang Soo Do is probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I will strive for an even higher rank. I will not retreat in battle.
Tang Soo Do isn’t my only example of the value of persistence, although it is probably my most extravagant. The reason I get decent grades is because I usually strive to keep my average above a ninety. When I stop striving, my grades suffer. Thus I have learned not to quit.
No comments:
Post a Comment