5.06.2009

I Believe the Hard Things in Life Only Make You Stronger



"Things go wrong in order to make you strong." I've learned that in life things happen so that you can get a stronger self and learn from it. Even when you're as young as six years old. I can remember the call that I'll never forget. Thinking how it could have happened, thoughts racing through my mind in every direction. Something I never thought would happen, did. Leaving the airport from a flight of tears. How? Why? These were my only thoughts. My uncle was gone and I knew he wasn't coming back. Deep down inside I knew he would want me to be strong, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

When I think back, I realize that I've only gotten stronger. Things that would have bothered me then or even a couple of years ago, don't now. I still think why him or even how someone could take him away from us. I look back on everything and know theirs strength inside of everyone, if they know it or not. The day I lost my uncle I heard this quote, that will stick with me forever. "Strength doesn't come from winning, it's from your struggles that define your strengths. When you go through difficulties and choose not to give up, you truly have exactly what you need."

From this, I have seen myself grow stronger and able to be there for whatever life has in store. Sometimes I think the day I lost my uncle was the day I gained the strength I needed. It's hard to believe that almost eight months ago I was sitting with my best friend and looking at the tears in his eyes. I couldn't believe that someone who was always so strong when people needed it most, was in this position. Sitting there, I couldn't help but think of the week before. Dreading summer being over and leaving camp was all I had on my mind. Until my mom called me to tell me that there had been a accident and that my best friend's dad was killed in a car crash. I thought it was a horrible nightmare, until it hit me that it really did happen. I couldn't understand why bad things had to happen to good people and why everything that hurts you the most, sticks with you the longest.

Being strong isn't just how you stay through tough times, it's also what you gain from pushing yourself into something you never thought you'd do. I can honestly say I have had no regrets in life because I think everything happens for a reason. The hard times you go through and think will never end, build character and make you that much stronger.


No comments: