5.06.2009

This I Believe "It is blessed to give than to receive"













Is it not every day that you see people who walk with their noses up high and mighty, looking down on those less fortunate than them?  Some people call it blessed, but a blessed person knows that being selfish is not the way to go.  Like the old folks used to say, “It’s better to give than to receive.”  And in giving, more is received. Sometimes giving to others is one of the best things you can do for someone, especially those who are less fortunate than you.  Because of your good doings, God will give back to you in abundance.

                When I first started middle school, I found it hard to make friends.  Then I met a boy in the same position as me, except that he was a victim of bullying.  I always sat next to him in 3rd period because he seemed so alone.  The other kids thought he was disgusting, but I thought otherwise.  Day after day, he and I grew closer and I could tell that he was happier with his life because I gave him the courage to be strong.  Pretty soon, he was walking with his head up.  And I was still there for him.  I tried the best I could to help him out.  He used to tell me that I was like a sister he never had and he’d never forget me.  That made me feel good about myself because I saw him grow out of the scared boy that he used to be into a stronger, more confident young man.  I gave him joy and God gave me a friend.  In giving, I truly did receive more.

            I guess I can understand why a lot of people are afraid or dislike giving money, more or less, because they think they’ll never get it back. They think that by saving their money, they will have more, but that is selfishness, and as I’ve said before, a selfish person is not a blessed person. There were plenty of times in the past that I didn’t want to give my money away because I wanted to save it but I ended up losing it anyway.  One time I saw a cup with a child on it who was very poor and lived on the streets so I decided to give my only five dollars to her in donation.  I can’t say that afterwards I felt good or bad about doing it because I had just given away all of my money but I did at least help someone else with it who had nothing at all.  I felt proud of myself for that. Not long after, my brother gave me $300 and told me to keep it.  At first I had no idea why he did that but then I remembered my donation a few weeks earlier.  That’s when I realized that it’s better to give than to receive.  And in giving, you receive more.

No comments: