5.05.2009

Little Things = big joy



Little Things = Big Joy
All he did was make a Christmas card. It wasn’t fancy nor had sound. It was a simple, homemade card, made out of construction paper. On the front the words “Merry Christmas Lauren” were circling a big, green, paper Christmas tree. But what was inside was much more meaningful than even I realized.
Inside, it was just a little note saying that he had enjoyed getting to know me and was glad that we were friends. The impact that such a simple card had on me was overwhelming. To know that someone cared and was thinking about me meant so much. How could something so simple make me feel so good inside?
Then it hit me. Why couldn’t I do the same for someone else? Why couldn’t I show them the joy that little, meaningful things give? I didn’t have to do anything big, just an encouraging note or a smile in the hallway could really impact someone. I could give someone such joy by doing something so little. Wow, how amazing! So I decided to try it out.
My friend’s grandfather died and I knew that she was having a hard time with it, so I sent her a small letter of encouragement. And guess what happened? She hasn’t ceased to tell me how much it meant to her. Wow, this crazy thing called kindness actually makes people feel good! It absolutely blows my mind that the
 small things could actually mean more than the big things.
Think about a gift. What would mean more; the latest thing that will be out-of-style in about a month or something that can make you feel good for a lot longer? I believe that something little and heartfelt can mean more to someone than something big and meaningless.
Of course I didn’t always believe this .It took a time of growing up for me to realize that true joy comes from small heartfelt things. But now I know that joy comes from the heart and not from material things. This is my mission. I want to show the world that little things can cause big joy. I want to show them by action that small things can make a difference. Some people might be affected and some might not. But by doing this I know my heart will be in the right place. I know it won’t be easy but I believe that everyone can benefit from small things. All it takes is one small thing to benefit someone in a big way.

No comments: