What if your dad was always with you; or your mom? The way you acted would be definitely different from if it were just you and your friends. When you think about it, you know that the majority of parents around the world want only what is best for their child, so, if you did things the way you knew wouldn't disappoint your mom or dad, then wouldn't you most likely be doing things that are for your overall benefit? I know this is a kind of weird philosophy but it's worked pretty well.
I can remember when I first thought of purposefully disobeying my dad. I was pretty young, around six. My dad took me to the pavilion so I could watch him play ice hockey. Of course being a little girl I had no intention of just sitting there watching old men skate around after a puck. So I went to make a friend to pass the hour away. I met this girl; all I remember is that she was a little older than me. We were having fun, when she got an idea and said "Why don't we go around the rink to the back?" I had never been there, so to me a new place was an exciting place! I told her I had to ask my dad. Along came my dad, and when I asked he just said "No" and left. That was disappointing and I told the girl. She looked at me oddly, like I had said something weird, and said, "So, it's not as if anyone is watching you." And here I was, looking at choice. Either say "okay" and go with this girl to this potentially great place, a place my dad had told me clearly not to go, or say, "sorry" and have her think not play with me now that she knew I was so dull. Then a thought came to me. I like my dad pretty well, and I only had just met this girl. If my dad were here I know what I would say, I just told the girl, "That doesn't matter". She made signs of disgust for how boring I was, and left for the forbidden place.
Even I am surprised by how much that little encounter has affected me. From then on, during a lot of the choices I have made, I think if my dad were here, what would I say? That really jumbles things up. Now, if I had chosen to follow that girl to wherever that place lead would I be a different kind of person? Who knows what might have happened. Maybe absolutely nothing. Or I might have been caught, punished, and not trusted to be by myself. All I really know is that thinking this way has kept me out of a lot of trouble. I'm pretty confident if everyone thought this way at least once in a while there would be fewer proble
ms in our world.
1 comment:
This is beautiful Ivy!
Post a Comment